Mr Witcher orginally represented the defendant in respect to drug matters before the Crown Court (thereafter acting succesfully in the Court of Appeal). Those proceedings gave rise to numerous restraint and confiscation issues. Following the same, and the return to the defendant of signifcant restrained assets, HMRC carried out a retrospective tax enquiry, declaring that almost £200,000 had been earned and upon which no tax had been paid. Mr Witcher, recognised for his expertise in financial and buisness crime, was instructed to secure a settlement with HMRC. Mr Witcher took conduct of negotiations with HMRC and in due course following representations and meetings, HMRC agreed that the tax liability was closer to £10,000 and that the penalty would be settled by way of minimal interest. This latest favourable result concluded this long running case for the defendant. Counsel was privately instructed by TIna Donoghue of Powell Spencer and Partners, London.
- Crown Court Success for George Hepburne Scott October 23, 2017
- Lewis Power QC secures Not Guilty Verdicts In Marital Rape Trial October 17, 2017
- Oliver Grimwood was called to the Bar of the Cayman Islands October 17, 2017
- Myanmar: Genocide? The law October 17, 2017
- Lewis Power QC succeeds in Murder Charge being dropped at Close of Prosecution Case October 10, 2017