Mr Witcher orginally represented the defendant in respect to drug matters before the Crown Court (thereafter acting succesfully in the Court of Appeal). Those proceedings gave rise to numerous restraint and confiscation issues. Following the same, and the return to the defendant of signifcant restrained assets, HMRC carried out a retrospective tax enquiry, declaring that almost £200,000 had been earned and upon which no tax had been paid. Mr Witcher, recognised for his expertise in financial and buisness crime, was instructed to secure a settlement with HMRC. Mr Witcher took conduct of negotiations with HMRC and in due course following representations and meetings, HMRC agreed that the tax liability was closer to £10,000 and that the penalty would be settled by way of minimal interest. This latest favourable result concluded this long running case for the defendant. Counsel was privately instructed by TIna Donoghue of Powell Spencer and Partners, London.
- Yasin Patel was one of 3 main speakers at an International Sports Law Conference held in Colombo August 15, 2017
- Success for Joanna Toch in dual nationality case. Brexit looms. August 14, 2017
- Lewis Power QC Secures Acquittal in University Rape Case. August 14, 2017
- The dawn of a new era in extradition law? – An article by George Hepburne Scott. August 11, 2017
- Lewis Power QC secures Unanimous Acquittal In Modern Day Slavery Trial August 8, 2017